Chicago - a.k.a. Chi-beria, at least during the months of December, January, and February - is generally not considered the most fun place to be during the winter months. And really, no one likes dealing with icy roads, shoveling snow, and all the other inconveniences of winter. However, there are plenty of reasons why Chicago is a wonderful place to be during the colder seasons - and here are our top ten aspects of why being in Chicago during the winter is absolutely awesome.
1. Christkindlmarkt - The German-style Christmas market in the Daley Plaza is an incredible winter experience even if you don't personally celebrate Christmas or any related holidays. Delicious food and remarkable crafts, plus the experience of seeing the trees all lit up in downtown Chicago is amazing in it is own right.
2. Skating in Millennium Park - Of course, there are plenty of other outdoor and indoor rinks in Chicago, but the views of the skyline and the lake just can't be beat. Although the Rink at Wrigley is pretty fantastic as well, along with all the other skating rinks in the city and suburbs.
3. The Chicago Bulls - With the season in full swing and a hopefully healthy Derrick Rose back in the game, watching the Bulls at home in the United Center is something that everyone who lives in Chicago should experience at some point - the atmosphere is simply electric.
4. The Chicago Blackhawks - The Windy City's hockey team has come into their own, and they are one of the most exciting teams to watch in the NFL. In addition, their intense rivalries with the rest of the original six along with other NFL teams always make for compelling match-ups.
5. Enjoying a well crafted cocktail in front of a fireplace is one of the delights of wintering in a place that has truly cold weather - and Chicago does it well, with plenty of options for quality drinks (alcoholic or not) in various neighborhoods around the city.
6. Chicago's Festival Of Lights. There's almost nothing more beautiful than the stunning lights and parade down Michigan Avenue that occurs at the end of November. It might be chilly, but seeing the spectacle is worth it.
7. Skiing and Snowboarding. You might not think of the American Midwest as a destination for winter sports, but you may be pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of options for all sorts of athletic fun in the snow around the greater Chicagoland area, including cross country skiing, ice fishing, and snowmobiling in addition to skiing and snowboarding.
8. Comfort food of all kinds - if there is something that Chicago excels at, it is creating meals that stick to your ribs! From deep dish pizza to Italian beef, we have it covered.
9. World Class Museums that offer wonderful and inspiring exhibits, and you barely have to go outside to enjoy them.
10. Curling up on the couch or in bed in your warm home and watching the snow with some hot chocolate (or your preferred hot beverage). The snow looks beautiful when you view it through the window in front of your fireplace or in your cozy living room, after all!
Ready to experience a Chicago winter from the perspective of a home-owner? Contact our real estate agents today. And if you move into one of our Lakeshore East condos, you won't even have to shovel snow - or potentially even go outside for more than a few minutes on really chilly days, since there's Pedway access, a dog park, a grocery store, and other shops right in the community.