Everyone knows that Chicago is at its absolute best in the summer. The perfect weather, the gorgeous lakefront, and all of the many festivals and other special events mean that you're never at a loss for something to do; plus, even just being outside in one of the city's vibrant neighborhoods is a treat after a long chilly winter. In addition to the obvious reasons that Chicago is fantastic in the summer, however, there are plenty of secrets that only long term residents are privy too - but we're sharing them with you in this post because we hope everyone loves this season and this city as much as we do.
1. Visiting The Smaller Museums. While everyone checks out the Art Institute, Adler Planetarium, the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Museum of Science and Industry, there are plenty of fabulous smaller museums focused on various ethnic groups that have made Chicago their home over the years, local history, and other topics that often get overlooked. Visiting them is a great way to learn more about subjects that you find compelling - plus you can get out of the heat and avoid the tourist crowds.
2. Exploring A New Neighborhood. Like the aforementioned museums, skipping or avoiding the popular attractions can be rewarding in its own way, and there is no better time to do that than during the summer when there are plenty of local festivals, street fairs, and other special events; plus, you may discover some new hidden gems to revisit in the future! There's nothing like being a tourist in your own city to make you appreciate everything it has to offer; what's more, you may discover some amazing new real estate or properties that you would have never considered before visiting the area. Whether you're in the market for an investment or a new residence, being in a new neighborhood can open your eyes to the possibilities it holds.
3. Pick A Favorite Park. With literally hundreds of parks ranging from the massive Millennium and Grant Parks to perennially popular Lincoln Park to cozy corners in every neighborhood, Chicago has plenty of green space. And summer is the perfect time to find your favorite spot to people-watch, work out, or simply relax and watch the world go by.
4. Take Your Dog For A Walk. While taking your pup for a stroll is a necessity all year round, doing so in the summer is actually enjoyable - a treat for both you and your pet. Make the most of it by checking out the city's many dog parks and who knows - maybe you or your dog will make some new friends!
5. Escape The City. It might seem counter-intuitive that one of our favorite things to do in Chicago in the summer is to leave, but that's only because there are so many wonderful options nearby. For a quick escape, you can head to the lakes and rivers in Wisconsin, Michigan, or Illinois itself; also, Union Station, O'Hare, and Midway offer easy ways to connect with the rest of the country and the world. Besides, you have to leave once in a while in order to truly appreciate everything Chicago has to offer!
Want to experience summertime in Chicago from the perspective of a resident or homeowner? We can help - just get in touch with our team of real estate agents today.